Monday, May 21, 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival: Retro Flowers

Amy's Creative Side

I bought Christina's Retro Flowers pattern a little while ago, when Curves Class was first announced. The quiltalong came at a perfect time for me so I signed myself up! I knew I wanted to test out the pattern a little before jumping in with both feet & making a huge quilt. My leftover 'Pretty Bird' bits & pieces seemed like a good place to start. Not unlike the last time I used these fabrics, they grew on me the longer I worked with them. I had wanted to use up all my Kona Ocean...but when my little test project started to become more, I had to order more fabric! (Such a shame, eh?)
retro flowers. finished front

My little machine gave me some trouble during the piecing process...so glad I stuck it out though! I turned my blocks on point & a baby quilt was born. The plan was to use Kona Tangerine for the binding, with a mostly Ocean backing. Well, immediately after making the orange binding, I knew it wasn't going to work for me. It had to be Ocean. I was not about to wait on another order of Ocean, so the backing became a mish mash of all the leftover fabrics from the front.
retro flowers. back mish mash


retro flowers. folded

Quilt StatsFabric: Pretty Bird by Pillow & Maxfield
 Kona Ocean & Robin's Egg
Size: 36 x 48"
Pattern: Retro Flowers
Quilting: All quilting is done by me, on my clunky old Kenmore


15 comments:

  1. So beautiful!! Love the way you laid everything out and the back is so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I never would have thought to set them on-point like that! It totally changes the look. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is so beautiful:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Flowers! They are looking so modern in your arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job, Charlotte! It looks really great set on point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's awesome Charlotte, and I love that you put the blocks on point! Very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this baby quilt!!! The retro flowers on point are striking on the solid background. I love the results, just a lovely quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this design and using the kona ocean really is eye catching. Love that you set it on point. And don't you just hate that you had to order more fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt, I love how the dark background highlights the prints. You have lots of patience for piecing the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you laid out the flowers and the blue background! It has a very summer-y, beach-y feel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new follower, gotta see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like these blocks set on point with each "flower" made of a mix of fabrics. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great pattern for such wonderful, bold prints!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comment :). Sorry, I am getting spammed & had to turn on the word verification for now.