Wednesday, January 18, 2012

w.i.p. - my first of the year

Now, I listed & linked to my plans for the immediate future in my last couple of posts, but here are some photos I took today. You know, the proof!

Swoon. I am really unsure as to how many of these blocks I will do. My 3 yr old niece was looking through my flickr favs of this block & saying, "that is so pretty", "I love that one", "look at those pretty colours!". She basically said every. single. one. was her favourite, and I feel the same way! It confirmed that my original swoon idea of making her a pillow was a good one. It also got me wondering if I should try some hand sewing with her soon...the fabric love seems to be there!
Here is my start. Medium Grey Kona & some Heirloom...


Next up - solstice star #1, ribbon star. Made up with Modern Meadow to fit in with my Summer Sampler blocks from last year. (Missing some background Raffia Kona in this pic, as I forgot to cut it out! Laid the block pieces out like so & thought, "how did I miss those?!"

  solstice stars

These are the fabrics I've picked out for my Sparkle quilt. I hope to make it a baby sized (9 blocks) but am starting with these 4 to see how I like it. I believe cutting instructions come tomorrow, so my 1.5hrs of nap time is already spoken for!


I also have to vent just a little bit. My local quilt shop does not carry the types of fabric that I love. It's okay though, internet shopping is good to me! What I would love to pick up locally are things such as Best Press (or something similar, since I don't know the difference yet), an assortment of rulers (a square smaller than 6.5" specifically), fusible interfacing, insul-bright & quilting gloves. That was my list & the shop had nothing I needed. The woman working there told me to check walmart. Um...really? I was a little surprised that 1- she thinks walmart has all this stuff & 2- that she would rather I shop there. (Has anyone in a Canadian Walmart ever seen Best Press on the shelves?) I wish my LQS was more impressive. It would be so nice to purchase some items in person (no stalking the post office) & in CAD!

Linking up at Freshly Pieced today :)   WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


  1. Your swoon blocks are going to be beautiful. Love the med grey kona!

  2. Your Swoon blocks are going to be gorgeous, with Heirloom (love!) and gray. And I love your fabric choices for the Sparkle QA! Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday. : )

  3. I'm in Canada too, and struggle with local stores. The actual "quilt shops" are soooo expensive! A meter of Moda fabric for $20??? Seriously? So honestly I don't really go into those shops much because I know I won't buy anything at those prices. I do shop at Fabricland though, which is slightly less frustrating but still not ideal. They do have sales all the time but I still have a hard time getting over their regular prices. Do people actually pay that???

    I love the fabrics you are working with, and I think little apples will make a great sparkle quilt!


Thank you very much for your comment :). Sorry, I am getting spammed & had to turn on the word verification for now.